Jan's Reviews > Lyra's Oxford

Lyra's Oxford by Philip Pullman

Sep 18, 2009

liked it
Recommended for: anyone who has read His dark materials series
Read in September, 2009

I just finished the His Dark Material series and loved them. This short story is a sequel and "bridge" to the next promised book in the series "Dust".

I enjoyed the short, short book because it featured the main character of the series, Lyra and her demon. It made reference to the other stories and help with finished series withdrawal symptoms. It gave me a glimmer of Lyra's life and how she is doing yet was a little tease of things to come.

This is very, very short and can't be compared to the other books of the series. I wouldn't recommend that anyone read this book unless you have read the other books in the series or if you would like to get a taste for the author's style of writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lyra's Oxford.

Marie Johnson What do you mean by the series "Dust"?

message 2: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan Marie.... from Wikipedia.. explains it better than I can especially since it's been a long time since I read these books:

"The Book of Dust is an upcoming novel by Philip Pullman. It will be a companion novel to the His Dark Materials trilogy, and will feature Lyra Belacqua as a main character. Initially, Pullman said that the story will take place two years after the events of Lyra's Oxford and will tie into that book, with Lyra being "about sixteen." He has since said "it might be in two volumes and I think one might take place in the time before His Dark Materials and the other might take place afterwards." The book will also be "about Dust," and will address the lack of positive portrayals of religion in the His Dark Materials books, although it will not be a continuation of the trilogy."
It's been planned for a long time and doesn't appear to have a release date yet.

Marie Johnson Do you think it will ever come out?

message 4: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan Don't know. Some expected in in 2009, 2012, 2013. Guess when it's written we'll know.

I might have to re-read the whole series for a refresher when it does appear. I did that with all the Harry Potter books... :)