Jean's Reviews > Little, Big

Little, Big by John Crowley

F_50x66
Sep 18, 09

This book deserves a five star rating for rich, heady, almost intoxicating language, and its dead-on, often totally original descriptions of things from the mundane to the imagined and fantastic. If there were only a “real” plot…or maybe I just wasn’t sophisticated enough to stitch together the wealth of literary, astronomical, chemical and geographical allusions. This long (500+) pages book palled for me a bit in the latter half when it started going deeper about a great conspiracy, reincarnation (?) of consummately evil/powerful world leaders, a stolen child and her zombie-fied doppelganger, modern day addictions and squalor, and talking storks and fishes (really people who’d ethically stumbled). I believe the author has twin children. The parts of the book I found most lyrical and touching were the ones depicting things children do and feel, and how parents see and feel their children. If the author wrote an autobiographical book talking about his family I bet it would be stunning at a quarter of the length of Little, Big.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little, Big.