Amy's Reviews > My Ántonia

My Ántonia by Willa Cather

Sep 18, 09

bookshelves: 2009, classics
Read in September, 2009

I have a special place in my heart for frontier settlers kind of stories.This is not exactly that, but close enough in my book. I really enjoy Willa Cather's writing style. I think I read this years ago, but found it much more memorable this time around. This was for book club and we had an interesting discussion. One thing I found interesting was the description of immigrant life in the west. I think I have read enough about fictionalized accounts of immigrant life on the east coast to write my own novel (not saying it would be any good). We kind of went back and forth on who had it easier, east coast immigrants or immigrants in the west. I think we all concluded---neither despite the significant differences! Face it sometimes I am too lazy to change the settings on the ceiling fan to warm up or cool down. I cannot imagine having to survive in such harsh and desperate conditions. Antonia reminded me vaguely of Tess (in Tess of the d'Urbervilles) although less frustrating. I guess it was their tie to rural life that create some vague parallels in my mind.
I enjoyed Cather's description of day to day life growing up in small town Nebraska, although I think I would have preferred the plot to be paced a tad quicker, sometimes it was a little uneven.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Ántonia.