Chris 's Reviews > Before they are hanged

Before they are hanged by Joe Abercrombie

1956959
Nov 30, 10

Read from November 20 to 29, 2010

4.5 stars. Where The Blade Itself served as a great introduction to the world of Joe Abercrombie, Before They Are Hanged really gets into the adventure.

I enjoyed the characters as they were introduced in Book 1, but here they are allowed to grow and interact with one another. Sand dan Glokta is perhaps the most brilliant anti-hero lecherous protagonist ever! I love his chapters above all others. His snide thoughts are interjected in response to comments made by those he deals with. These are what he wants to say, but does not. They're usually hilarious.

I also love the Northmen. Their banter and Three-Stoogey way of doing things makes for great entertainment. But while they're quite funny at times, they can kick some serious ass as well. It's not all fun and games.

Definitely looking forward to Book 3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before they are hanged.

Quotes Chris Liked

Joe Abercrombie
“Honour, eh? What the hell is that anyway? Every man thinks it's something different. You can't drink it. You can't fuck it. The more of it you have the less good it does you, and if you've got none at all you don't miss it.”
Joe Abercrombie, Before They Are Hanged

11/20/2010 page 78
show 7 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tammy I see you've finally got into it! Let me know what you think.

Chris It's awesome. I'd forgotten how cool and funny the banter between these characters could be.

Tammy I'm glad you like it. I liked this one better than the first even. The characters are so much more entertaining here.

Shel Glokta was a great character. I was really impressed that Abercrombie somehow managed to make me feel sympathy for a sadistic torturer.