Kermit's Reviews > The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Sep 18, 2009

bookshelves: young-adult-fiction
Read in September, 2009

4.5 stars I listened to this on audio CD. I loved this strong teenager's voice. Frankie attends an elite, private high school with other wealthy, privileged kids. Because she is pretty, she is included in a circle of funny, smart, particularly rich kids. Her boyfriend sees her as mostly "eye candy" and underestimates how capable and smart she is. The school, called Alabaster, has a tradition of a secret, male society called the Loyal Order of the Bassets that many of the boys' fathers and grandfathers belonged to. Frankie finds out about the society and wants to be part of it, but that bucks tradition. Through email, she secretly infiltrates the group and masterminds pranks and wild activities. This girl seemed real to me with her conflicting emotions. She wants to be included as an equal with the boys and has that independent streak, but she also wants to be a "girlfriend" and enjoys being with her handsome boyfriend. The concept of a panopticon was pretty cool.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks.