Jacobi's Reviews > X-Men: Magneto Testament

X-Men by Greg Pak

Jan 31, 15

bookshelves: trades-read

This book is deceiving. You would think a book about a young Magneto trying to survive in Nazi controlled Auschwitz would be one thing, but it's totally not that thing. This is a straight up story about a Jewish family being beaten and abused at every turn, yet still finding a way to persevere. This isn't the most original story, but it is very well done. I give Marvel credit for putting this out, and not going all cheesy with Magneto making metal monsters to fight Nazis (which could have easily happened).

Even cooler is this book has lesson plans in the back for teachers. It didn't even occur to me that this book could be used as a teaching tool, but it absolutely could be. In the foreword, Pak goes out of his way to say all of the information in the book is factual, so I could see this being in the Holocaust unit of a middle school history class in the same way The Sound of Music or Schindler's List are used.

Also, the art is crazy good. But there were a few times I got a little lost in the storytelling, and wasn't able to tell just what was happening. That could be I wasn't being a careful enough reader, but that doesn't change the fact that a few pages and transitions lost me.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read X-Men.

Joseph Szabo You're right, I can't even call this a superhero (or villain) title and I'm not complaining either. It's brutal and honest and very well made.