Katie's Reviews > Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding: A Science Curriculum for K-2

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by Bernard J. Nebel

F 50x66
Sep 18, 2009

bookshelves: school
Read in January, 2009

Excellent book to guide the study of science for young elementary students.

It rightfully assumes that little kids can understand a whole lot more than grown ups think they can. It also guides you in the order to present lessons, but with a great deal of wiggle room, making it quite easy to follow the interests of the child and/or line certain lessons up with real events. (For example, I made sure the lesson on seasons ended up at a solstice....)

I wish there was a book more suited to home use, instead of classroom use, but it is easily adapted. I would also prefer if the writing involved fewer paragraphs and more bulleted lists or charts, but that's probably the tech writer in me talking.

I hope a grade 3-5 edition comes out soon!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding.

message 1: by Aprilleigh (new) - added it

Aprilleigh I haven't found any problems with using this book for homeschool science - in fact, I think a classroom teacher making use of it would need to adapt the lessons far more than a homeschooler. I'm curious what makes you feel it's not better suited to home use?

Katie Oh, I think it's great for homeschooling, but a lot of the discussion (especially the K-2 book) involves group sorts of activities, that may or may not work as well with just an individual child. But it's what I use -- we're on book three (grades 6-8) now. :)

message 3: by Aprilleigh (new) - added it

Aprilleigh Yes, there are some discussion activities that work better with groups, but I've found they can be easily modified. I've occasionally included my son's friends in such discussions. I'm probably acquiring a reputation among the parents as a bit of a science geek (duh!).