Maryse's Reviews > Doctors

Doctors by Erich Segal

Apr 19, 10

bookshelves: from-my-mothers-shelf

I never really wanted to read this book. I preferred Segal's The Class to this saga, but since I was going into Medicine and my mum had a copy of it in her library (from her Med school days, no less), I decided to read it.

That was almost 8 or 9 years ago. I don't remember much of the storyline of the book except for that tiny part where they had to kill dogs for an experiment. But a few months before finishing my final year in Med School, I noticed a number of copies of this book being brandished around by my classmates like a trophy of some sort. Before I knew it, quotes were being dropped and classmates were asking, "Have you read this book? It's really good.." It's almost as if you're not a doctor if you haven't read "Doctors". But, I guess, that is brilliance of this book, in that even if it was written years ago, following a class of med students at Harvard, struggling to become MDs, we, young Filipino med students, still identified with it, understood it and in some ways, was inspired by it. Time and distance amount to naught when we travel that same long and hard road. In the end, Segal has managed to create a classic, a timeless story that will continued to be read by doctors, present and future, and perhaps even by non doctors alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctors.