Suz's Reviews > Dark Guardian

Sep 19, 09

liked it
bookshelves: pnr
Read in September, 2009

I had such high hopes for this one. I spent more than half of it just being disgusted with the female protagonist's commitment to denial. It's been done to death in this series, it makes her insipid and jejune, and it's seriously beneath appropriate behavior for the lifemate of the oldest and fiercest living Carpathian hunter. It's like reading Dark Gold all over. It was like watching Scarlet O'Hara doing "I can't think about that right now, I'll just think about that tomorrow" punctuated with comic relief that was, in all honesty, rather funny at times.

I'm sick of stupid human female protagonists who spend 300 pages swooning, petulantly stomping the proverbial foot, making situations worse because they have something to prove, and generally being the typical female protagonist of the stereotypical bodice ripper - and the vast majority of these books are formulaic bodice rippers.

In fairness to the author she does get the occasional zinger in that's funny, the world she has built is engaging when it's not being raped and pillaged by redundant flowery prose.

I really wanted Lucian to end up my favorite male in this series, but so far it's still Falcon. Falcon and Razvan. They are the only two who dealt with their ladies with honor BEFORE they bound them to them. The rest? No testicles in the honesty department, at least not until the binding is done and that makes them wimps. Pity.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Guardian.