Lisa Dyer's Reviews > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

Dec 23, 09

bookshelves: read-incomplete
Read in December, 2009

I am so disappointed that I just wasn't able to finish book 2, Through the Looking Glass...I never give up on books like that. It was just too kooky for me. I found myself drifting off or thinking about other things while I was reading!

I originally picked up the book because Johnny Depp is in the new movie and I wanted to have a bit of background info before seeing it. Now I think I will just go see the movie just for the eye candy! Shallow huh.

I guess I also wasn't in the mindset to read the book either as I read the introduction/biography and was surprised to find out that he was a pedophile (ewwwww). How can someone so creepy have such a popular children's book - has the public been encouraging his sickness?

I also could not find the deeper level of meaning to the books. I read them purely as a fantasy adventure novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass.

11/07/2009 page 150

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathy Have you never read it? I'm looking forward to reading it to Katelyn but I think I'm going to wait another year.

Kathy Hi Lisa,
I have also heard that he was a suspected paedophile but that has only ever been a suspicion created by his interest in children - a quite cynical suspicion. I have also read that he was not at all evil in his intent so I choose to believe that he did just enjoy writing for children. The book was meant to be a way of teaching chess to his neice. I don't think there was any deeper meaning than that.