Amerydbaker's Reviews > The Ladies Auxiliary

The Ladies Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis

Sep 23, 09

bookshelves: book-club
Read in September, 2009

This definitely was a good discussion book. I did not get really envolved in the story until about 200 pages in. The story invites you into a small and tight knit Orthodox community. Many pages are spent relating the Jewish culture, holidays, and rituals.

In and of itself the story is minimal. The characters, however, and how they interact with each other is paramount. The book created alot of reflection upon how we treat each other and how we treat and re-act to our children. I found myself drawn to the character of Mimi and wanted to live my life like her. She was the one with acceptance and love despite the trials that she had went through.

All the way through the book, I kept telling myself "I never could live in this type of a community." But I understand the struggle of Batsheva, knowing that Ayala was thriving. Of course this novel brought up a lot of questions about how to raise a child religiously. It made me think about my own children and how I was raised.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ladies Auxiliary.