Ash's Reviews > You Wish

You Wish by Mandy Hubbard

Sep 17, 2009

Read on October 16, 2010

Okay, I know that you're probably rolling your eyes at the bright pink cover, and trust me I was totally there. I get it, I really do. The premise of the books just sounded too hilarious to pass up though and I surprisingly found an actual depth to this book that was totally unexpected. I’m rounding this up from a 4.5, and I’m so glad that I didn’t let my sarcastic and suspicious tendency keep me from reading it.

Quick Overview: Kayla has just had the worst sweet sixteen party possible. Her best friend Nicole, has ditched her to go out with her boyfriend, furthering the distance she feels is coming between them. The only person she recognizes is the most evil girl at her school (I know how this looks, but you’re gonna have to trust me) who is there to witness her pukalicious pink party. Yeah, things suck right now. And Kayla is tired of it. When she blows out the candles of her monstrous pink cake she angrily wishes her birthday wishes actually came true for once. The next day she wakes up to a weird pink pony with an ice cream cone imprinted on its butt grazing in her lawn, and then a room full of gumballs. She finally figures that something weird is up when some people who alarming resemble things you would find in the toy section show up. Her birthday wishes are coming true, and she has to stop it soon because one of her wishes was to kiss her long time crush, Ben. Which wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't dating her best friend. Let the freak outs begin.

I know the fluffy pink cover doesn't scream intelligence, but the irony is that it is totally fitting. I didn't think I would like the book this much, but I just loved the message and I feel like I could relate to it. I admit that at first I was not feeling it. Kayla came off as bratty, annoyingly judgmental, and always talking about "perfect" Ben. Not to mention that she kept talking about how things with skulls and crossbones was cute (Sorry, but I never, EVER think that cadaver skulls can be cute. Maybe I'm just too old-school like that). This is really a story of change and growing up though so it was really great to see her realize that wasn't who she wanted to be.

Obviously I have to mention how funny it was. The more I read the book the funnier things got. It's a good thing I didn't read this in public because at one point involving pecs (that's all I'm saying) I started using my fist to cover my snorting laughter, saying "Nu-uh!". I'm pretty sure I would've looked like a mental case. I could feel Kayla's anxiety and I was right there feeling totally embarrassed and mortified along with her. What I really liked though was the message of it. Kayla really grows up and realizes that she doesn't have to just complain about her life. She can choose to be happy and be the person she wants.

I know that if I took the time, and read a bunch of other reviews I could easily find stuff to scoff and roll my eyes at (I guess I can relate to the main character in that), but I just don't feel like doing that. I really enjoyed reading this and I hope that despite the cover (Which after reading the book, I think is perfect) people will give this a chance. It’s absolutely hilarious and tells a message that can always be learned again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Wish.

09/23/2016 marked as: read

Malaika Richardson I am holding the book now about to read it. Your review now really makes me want to read it! haha...

message 2: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Well hopefully it lives up to the expectation!

message 3: by Jan (new) - added it

Jan OK, I admit it. I LOVE the cover.

message 4: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Haha:D After reading other peoples reviews it seems most everybody else does too. I admit that after I finished reading it really grew on me, and now I LOVE it too!

message 5: by Avery (new)

Avery TheLibrariansDaughter Remember what they say never judge a book by it's cover