Anusha Pai's Reviews > Skeleton Key

Skeleton Key by Anthony Horowitz

Sep 17, 09

I'm so happy for Alex!!! He gets to go to Wimbledon! Unfortunately, there is an unexpected change of events and Alex goes on a mission for the CIA (well, at least it wasn't MI6 this time, but it was partially their fault)!
I love the part where Alex is having breakfast with his "family" and he asks for jam. The "mother" of the family (who has a small grudge against Alex joining her and the other CIA agent on their mission) gets mad at him for calling it jam because he was supposed to be acting like an American kid and Americans don't say jam. Alex keeps quiet about this but later, when the mother has another go at him, he finally loses his temper and says these amazing words:

'Alex decided he’d had enough. He put down his knife. “All right,” he said. “You’ve made it pretty clear that you don’t want to work with me. Well, that’s fine. Because I don’t want to work with you either. And for what it’s worth, nobody would ever believe you were my mom because no mom would ever behave like you.”
“Alex…,” Carver began.
“Forget it! I’m going back to London. And if you’re Mr. Byrne asks why, you can tell him I didn’t like the jelly, so I went home to get some jam.”'
-Skeleton Key, by Anthony Horowitz, pg.122-123

The ending was brilliant. Who would have thought Alexei Sarov would kill himself because Alex didn't want to be his son???? It was so strong and so deep and I had never felt so emotional while reading a book before!
Thank you Anthony Horowitz for the amazing series you give the world!!!!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skeleton Key.

Quotes Anusha Liked

Anthony Horowitz
“Alex decided he’d had enough. He put down his knife. “All right,” he said. “You’ve made it pretty clear that you don’t want to work with me. Well, that’s fine. Because I don’t want to work with you either. And for what it’s worth, nobody would ever believe you were my mom because no mom would ever behave like you.”
“Alex…,” Carver began.
Anthony Horowitz, Skeleton Key

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Meghan The sad thing about that part is, I'm American, and I say jam instead of jelly. I only say jelly if I'm having a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich. Otherwise, it's jam.