LJ's Reviews > Scare the Light Away

Scare the Light Away by Vicki Delany

Oct 02, 07

bookshelves: mystery, traditional_mystery, canada, contemporary_post_1945, female_author
Read in September, 2007

SCARE THE LIGHT AWAY (Trad. Mystery/Novel-Canada-Cont) – VG
Delany, Vicki – 1st book
Poisoned Pen Press, 2005, US Hardcover – ISBN: 1590581415
First Sentence: I stood outside the hardware store at the unmarked intersection.
*** After 30-years absence, Rebecca McKenzie returns to her family for the funeral of her mother and the small town where she was raised. She had harboured a lot of bitterness, over the years, but slowly comes to learn, partly through a collection of diaries left by her mother, that things, and people, have changed. One thing that hasn’t changed is her brother still in trouble with the law, but this time he is suspected of kidnapping and murdering a young girl. As Rebecca gets to know her brother, she joins forces with his wife to prove his innocence, putting themselves, and others, in great danger.
*** I’ll admit this book surprised me. In the beginning, Rebecca, wealthy, successful and returning to her small-town family, is a real prat. Through Delaney’s captivating writing, we watch the characters surmount their past conceptions and see a whole family unfold without the story becoming maudlin. There are a lot of layers to the story but they are well blended and I found myself involved and unwilling to but the book down before finishing it. The setting brought a wonderful dimension to the story and the suspense became nail-biting. I really enjoyed this book and recommend it highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scare the Light Away.