Steph Su's Reviews > Great Expectations

2010935
Feb 17, 10

bookshelves: school, own
Read in February, 2010

Pontificating, proselytizing protagonist surrounded by brainless supporting characters, all written by an author who is full of himself. After this unit in class, I have no respect for Dickens and all the "masterpieces" he believes himself to have created. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's self-important authors who write stories in which their condescension shines through.

[edit Feb. 2010:]

I still think Dickens is full of himself, but he is now a self-important bastard who can WRITE, damnit. Last semester I left off in this book after Volume 1, so irritating the first volume was. Volume 2 was definitely my favorite though: the various ridiculous characters that Pip meets in and around London were quite amusing. The story stalled a bit for me with the reentrance of Magwitch, but picked up again with the bittersweet conclusion of Pip, Estella, and Miss Havisham's relationships with one another. Hate the author, but beginning to appreciate his works as entertaining and instructful in the craft of writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great Expectations.

09/17/2009 page 112
21.88% "Make it stop, please..."
02/11/2010 page 244
47.66% "Yeah, I have to read it AGAIN... but at least Vol. 2 is more interesting..."
02/11/2010 page 299
58.4% "Enjoying this a lot more than I expected to... frightening!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Prodhi (new)

Prodhi Ouch...but I agree. I was actually a big fan of Dickens before (Dave Copperfield) but I really, really hated Great Expectations. Vapid is the word I'd associate with it.

Steph Su Prodhi wrote: "Ouch...but I agree. I was actually a big fan of Dickens before (Dave Copperfield) but I really, really hated Great Expectations. Vapid is the word I'd associate with it."

Teehee. ^_^

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth AHAHAHA!!!!! Love it. I boggles my mind how this author was ever so popular. A teacher once told me that people in America would stand in the docks, shouting to the people arriving by boat from Britain to tell them about the latest Dickens. Can't imagine it ever being that popular, can you?

message 4: by oliviasbooks (last edited Feb 17, 2010 11:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

oliviasbooks Hmm. I like most of what I've read by him. Maybe I am too simple-minded or maybe having to read something for school destroys the pleasure? (I don't like Schiller or Goethe or Grass, for instance.) I think Dickens' novels must have been like movies for the readers of his days. Everything enfolding in front of you inner eye.