Mike's Reviews > The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference

Sep 23, 09

Recommended to Mike by: eq
Recommended for: Anyone
Read in September, 2009, read count: 1

I liked this book and I understand the cases he presents, but I kept thinking it was a "lightweight" version of what I would have wanted it to be. Not that the examples he used were bad choices or there weren't good points made with them, but I thought it was just too "thin". The whole concept of how things (i.e. products) go from early, low penetration to mass acceptance is (or should) be fairly well-known by now. In consumer goods, the past 3 decades have given us many perfect examples:

The Personal Computer, the Video Cassette Recorder, the cellular telephone, Compact Discs and players, DVDs and players, MP3 players, and ancient as it seems now, the Walkman. Actually the Walkman is not a good example of this, as it was mostly a re-packaging of existing technology, whereas the others were new technologies that first had to pass through the ranks of the "early adopters" to the forefront of popular notice to full (in in some cases virtually 100%) saturation.

I think if the book had been 50 or 100% longer, with more details I, personally, would be happier. Because I reader the later version with post-publishing updates, I think the author also saw where more content might have been better.

I'm also ranking a bit lower than I might have because I find a couple of his examples (based on my own reading of colonial times) to be "off".

But I would recommend the book to everyone that is curious as to how things happen, how things become "wildfires" in popular culture and how they may or may not have lasting impact.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tipping Point.