Victoria's Reviews > Things Hoped For

Things Hoped For by Andrew Clements

Sep 17, 2009

liked it
Read in October, 2009

An interesting companion novel to "Things Not Seen". It takes a bit of a different direction, and I'm hoping the third book of this trilogy will tie everything together.

Gwen Page loves music above everything else; roaming far from her rural West Virginia roots, she's staying in New York with her distant but loving grandfather to practice for upcoming auditions. Big name schools are on the horizon, and Gwen wants to give her beloved violin music her full attention.

But the story Gwen imagines for herself quickly gets tangled up. Her grandfather disappears, leaving her with only a cryptic answering machine message as a clue. Her belligerent great-uncle is relentless in his demands for money. And now her only ally alone in a big city is a teenage trumpet player named Robert (also known as Bobby, the previous book's protagonist).

I liked Gwen okay as a narrator; her obvious passion for music and the way she learned to play and describe it was interesting. It was also good to see Bobby through someone else's eyes; I think a lot got added to his character here through his friendly interactions with Gwen. And a little bit more dimension got added to the "invisible" story. I'm looking forward to the final book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things Hoped For.