Ann's Reviews > They Came to Baghdad

They Came to Baghdad by Agatha Christie

Dec 01, 09

bookshelves: mysteries
Recommended to Ann by: Katie! Thanks!!
Read in December, 2009, read count: 1

Easily one of my favorite Agatha Christie books! The more mystery books I read, the more I realize just how incredible Christie was at what she did.

This mystery centers around, not so much a murder, but the plot of a political overthrow (Is the overthrow a good thing? Or a bad thing? And even, does it exist?). Our protagonist, Victoria, finds herself suddenly placed in the middle of it all, and must decide just how involved she wants to be.

"They Came to Baghdad" has an intriguing blend of all sorts of mystery points: murder, mistaken identity, spies, lies, and even a bit of romance.

I think what really won me over was the detailed and diverse cast of characters, headed by the smart and clever Victoria, who has a fantastic imagination, and an ability to create elaborate lies and stories, but whom fails to tell convincing *true* stories. Victoria isn't really "book smart" and she's not entirely "street smart" but she's clever and has a wonderful ability to never give up, and an optimistic heart that makes her a pleasure to follow through the pages.

Not every chapter is devoted to Victoria's perspective, however, and in the beginning we have several chapters from several points of view. This could have been frustrating and annoying, but for some reason I did not find it so and was instantly drawn in and hooked to each of the mini-stories (if you do find it tiresome, I highly suggest you give the book at least 5 chapters or so, until you settle into the main plot).

This book isn't overly gruesome or graphic, and while there *may* have been a few points I'd have liked better clarification on, overall I thought the mystery was explained nicely and neatly.

Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Came to Baghdad.

10/05/2009 page 22
10/10/2009 page 40
14.29% "I can't think why I'm already so absorbed... but I am!"
10/11/2009 page 50
17.86% "Also known as Chapter Six ;>"
11/04/2009 page 76
27.14% "Yay! I got quite a bit of reading in yesterday (for me that is ;>) And, of course, the plot thickens (okay, not loads, but still;>)"
11/09/2009 page 132
47.14% "Oh no! And the plot REALLY thickens!!"
11/30/2009 page 250
89.29% "Aha!! One piece of mystery revealed! :D :D"
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn Do you want to borrow my copy? They also have some at the library. Read it soon, so we can discuss!!! :-)

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Lol! I just ordered this this morning before I saw your post! That's true, I should read it while it's fresh in your memory:>

Kathryn It was fun discussing this with you before I forgot too much about the plot details! ;-) I'm glad you read it so soon after I did!

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Thanks! I enjoyed discussing it, too! Though, I'm sorry I didn't finish it sooner. But thanks for recommending it! I hadn't realized how much I'd missed Agatha Christie books until I delved into this one :)

Kathryn Me, too! We'll have to seek out some more. We may have to start relying on Peroit and Miss Marple!

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Yeah. At least the mysteries should be good. And maybe the supporting characters would be enjoyable. ;>