Nancy's Reviews > A.D.: New Orleans After the Deluge

F 50x66
Sep 17, 2009

it was ok
Read in September, 2009

So, before I read this, I was talking to my daughter about it. I said, "I've read reviews that weren't particularly positive - it's supposed to be sort of banal," and she said, "Whatever. I don't think I'm really up for an emotionally wrenching read about New Orleans anyway."

I feel it. The book WAS banal - the stories were sad but not well-told, and they lacked the kind of you-were-there-feeling-the-pain emotional punch. And also, at least one of the characters - the woman who rode out the storm in the Morial Convention Center - was such an unpleasant jerk that it hard to care at all about her. (She ended up in a Habitat for Humanity house in Baton Rouge and she flings insults about BR far and wide; when I remember the sacrifices BR made for the refugees, her attitude seemed doubly ugly). But, well - Katrina is still a big scar in my mind, and I don't think I really wanted to get particularly involved with these folks anyway. So.

One thing that WAS interesting was how the thugs took over the Morial Center and helped control the crowd, trying to make sure that old people and babies got their share of water and food. I didn't know about that. It's an interesting sidelight on human nature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A.D..