Natalie's Reviews > The Taking

The Taking by Dean Koontz

Sep 17, 09

Ok, this one has to be the scariest I've read by Dean Koontz so far. I didn't like a lot of the scary parts (it was too graphic really). A book that gives me the willies when I go down to my basement is to be avoided. I listened to this one on CD again (once again, that's a pattern I've developed for Koontz's books. It's fun to listen to something while hanging laundry, cooking dinner, etc.).

Many of Koontz's books have a light-hearted tone that makes up for the frightening parts. This one, of necessity, was totally serious. The evil in this book was too strong for my tastes, and the silver lining of hope, came too close to the end. Despite these down sides, I still give this 3 stars because the suspense was excellent. The characters were well written (even if there wasn't that cheerful attitude so often found in Koontz's other characters). The book ended on a positive note. I really do wonder though what kind of nightmares this poor man must have to imagine this book up.

I don't recommend this book, unless you are a fan of serious horror. Very scary, but well written, with a tone of "good is victorious in the end."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taking.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kaitie I was reading it at night and I could not sleep for a week after I finished it.

Kasia I love super scary, your review makes me want to read it faster :) but I do love horror, great job :)