Joy's Reviews > Dead and Gone

Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris

2711937
Wow, this book overwhelmed me. A lot of fairies in here, more blood, more Eric and Sookie. And for the first time, I started to pity Bill. Cliche (and corny) as it may sound, maybe it's true that first love never dies. Bill is boring but he's still gallant and it's plain to see he really loves Sookie. Inspite of all that, I still love Eric.

It's clear to see Eric wasn't really good at expressing his feelings, not just because he's a thousand-year-old vampire, but simply because he's a guy. I can see he's a practical man, manipulative, but still dependable. I loved their moments together when he showed his vulnerable side. I'm sure this is not the end of the series and I'm hoping there'll be more of him in the next, and that maybe Charlaine Harris would take their relationship to the next level because for now, they're on a bumpy ride. They didn't really talk about their status although Eric claims Sookie as his, and his alone.

Harris still has to explore on Sookie's nephew Hunter, who's also a telepath. I can't help but notice the discrepancies in the book about the family ties. Because if Niall is Claudine and Claude's grandfather, and he's Sookie's great-grandfather, wouldn't Claudine and Claude be Sookie's aunt and uncle? In here she calls them cousins, the same way she refers to Hunter as her cousin.

This book was quite grim and bloody, still has a lot of mysteries but I was able to sense the culprit in the second half of the book. Again, I admire the writing style on how the other books connected with this one, new characters don't linger for long, it's either they die or they go away and in here it's a bit of both.

All of the characters in this book have developed. Sam reacted badly on Sookie and Eric's "marriage" and I think that's just the supe vs vampire talking. I liked it he's a good friend who's really concerned about her. The little town of Bon Temps is not a sleepy old town, but one that's always brewing with inrigue, prospering people, and humans coexisting with vampires, shifters, and weres.

The storyline was solid, the story flow was good up to the climax 'til the falling action (I hope this doesn't sound like a book report). When Niall reassured Sookie that "the vampire loves her" I think he referred to Eric because he didn't acknowledge Bill. Again, I hope the next book has more of Eric and Sookie developing a steady relationship, with mysteries on the side.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead and Gone.

10/04/2009 page 209
65.31% "Wow, Eric and Sookie moments *in bliss*"