Debbie's Reviews > Parcel Arrived Safely: Tied with String

Oct 03, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: autobiography, work-reading-group
Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert ** The title is a coded telegram sent home to announce the birth of illegitamate Michael, tied with string meaning its a boy. This is an honest account of his childhood and career in showbusiness. His childhood and early career was by far the most enjoyable to read. This book has lots of laughs and Frank Spencer moments and is a book you can dip into and doesnt need to be read all in one go. Lots of insights into theatre life and he does seem to suffer more than his fare share of setbacks but the show must go on.

Didnt know that he had an established Hollywood career before his famous TV show. And he really did do all his own stunts - amazing!

Was surprised when I read that he had lost everything due to a bad investment and I mean everything and had to start from the very bottom. I ve got a lot of respect for him the way he dealt with this devasting blow.

I did find it hard to believe that so many weird things really happened to him , where does Frank Spencer end and Michael Crawford being ? For me the book became tedious after his early career as Michaels remembers names of everyone he ever worked with and has a story for every occasion!

A little bit of scandal is uncovered with a broken promise to an actress and subsequent child which due to legal reasons he could not include in this book. Very intriging - but despite my best attempts on google I cant find anymore about this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parcel Arrived Safely.