Gregory Philips's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Five Parts

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Apr 13, 07

Recommended for: Anyone who doesnt take things too seriously.
Read in September, 1995

I first came across this book quite by accident. I happened to over hear a friend of mine talking about how a tiny robot with a brain the size of a planet had such a depressing view of life that he managed to talk a spaceship into commiting suicide!!!

What better introduction do you need into the world of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the largest selling book in the Universe? Needless to say I was hooked and couldnt wait to borrow a copy and begin reading. And once I read it, I read it again paying special attention to my favourite bits. And then I read it again to see if I missed anything else.

To be fair the book isnt uniformly funny. The last two episodes: "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish" and "Mostly Harmless" are rather weak and you ocassionally have to strain a muscle trying to find something humorous.

If the first 3 episodes were a lavish banquet with a 3 course meal and good vintage wine, the last two are like taking all the leftovers and baking a pie out of the lot.

But on the whole the book deserves 4 stars. Its a talent to make people laugh. And with this book the laughs just keep on coming.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.