Heidi's Reviews > Not Meeting Mr Right

Sep 17, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: by-nwp, fiction, fiction-australian, 50books-poc-rnd1, by-atsi
Read in December, 2009

Indigenous Australian chick-lit! Totally awesome!

Heterocentric (naturally), but it’s chick lit, so what was I expecting? And so the heterocentricity is in no way a criticism.

Heiss’ characters are alive. Alice and her thick-headedness got on my nerves occasionally, but only occasionally. Generally it was great fun, and far more enjoyable than the sort of Marian Keyes-esque chick lit that I’ve read in the past – usually when desperate for something new to read. Alice’s circle of friends – and occasional dates – are described so very vividly that they almost leap off the page: as do her family. Although the parts of Sydney in which the book is set are *not* parts with which I am familiar (I only got east of the city twice in three years, and both times for movies), there’s a recogniseable Sydney flavour to it. For this reason, I’m particularly looking forward to reading Avoiding Mr Right, which is set in Melbourne.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Meeting Mr Right.

11/25/2009 page 51
11/25/2009 page 109
30.97% "Don't particularly like Alice, but for chick lit, it's good fun fluff."
12/02/2009 page 294
83.52% "Coping better with Alice's nitwittery, perhaps? A rollicking read, nevertheless."
09/05/2016 marked as: read