Heidi's Reviews > Not Meeting Mr Right

Not Meeting Mr Right by Anita Heiss

Jan 24, 10

bookshelves: by-nwp, fiction, fiction-australian, 50books-poc-rnd1, by-atsi
Read in December, 2009

Indigenous Australian chick-lit! Totally awesome!

Heterocentric (naturally), but it’s chick lit, so what was I expecting? And so the heterocentricity is in no way a criticism.

Heiss’ characters are alive. Alice and her thick-headedness got on my nerves occasionally, but only occasionally. Generally it was great fun, and far more enjoyable than the sort of Marian Keyes-esque chick lit that I’ve read in the past – usually when desperate for something new to read. Alice’s circle of friends – and occasional dates – are described so very vividly that they almost leap off the page: as do her family. Although the parts of Sydney in which the book is set are *not* parts with which I am familiar (I only got east of the city twice in three years, and both times for movies), there’s a recogniseable Sydney flavour to it. For this reason, I’m particularly looking forward to reading Avoiding Mr Right, which is set in Melbourne.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Meeting Mr Right.

11/25/2009 page 51
11/25/2009 page 109
30.97% "Don't particularly like Alice, but for chick lit, it's good fun fluff."
12/02/2009 page 294
83.52% "Coping better with Alice's nitwittery, perhaps? A rollicking read, nevertheless."
show 1 hidden update…