Marlyn's Reviews > Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Sep 16, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, audio-books, chick-lit, food
Read in September, 2009

I had planned on seeing the movie before reading the book, but my hold on the e-audiobook came in pretty quickly. I really enjoyed listening to this book about an almost-30-year-old secretary living in Queens with her husband, feeling like her life is going nowhere.

Visiting her parents, she spots her mother's copy of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cookikng and somehow comes up with the idea of cooking all 524 recipes in the book during the course of one year. Lunacy, yes, but then she decides to blog (a relatively new concept at the time) about her progress.

Lunacy indeed. Powell works full-time as a secretary, then comes home and cooks something from Childs' book, often not serving dinner until midnight. The blog is written in the morning before work.

For a spur-of-the-moment decision, Powell takes her task seriously, and although she comes close to giving up more than once, she just can't let herself or her "bleaders" (as she calls her blog audience) down.

Charming story and well read by the author, though her pronunciation of French leaves something to be desired.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.