Joshua's Reviews > Strong Poison

Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers

M 50x66
Sep 16, 2009

Read in March, 2008

This was the book that introduced me to the character of Lord Peter Wimsey and Dorothy Sayers in general. At the time I was not as impressed with the mystery itself, but the characters of Peter, Harriet, and Bunter. They were just so interesting to me, and I had to read more. (I've since collected all but two of the Wimsey books by Sayers and am looking forward to getting through them all.)

The other thing that I love about the book is the time period that it takes place in, as well as the style of Sayers' writing. I loved the Sherlock Holmes stories, and for some reason, this reminded me of them. Wimsey, the intellectual detective, was always surprising me with his keen powers of observation as well as the witty banter between him and the other characters in the book.

Harriet wasn't as interesting to me at the time, but I've since come to love her from the other books she has appeared in. Having come to know her now, I'd love to go back and reread this book again with the better understanding of her character that I have now and see what I missed the first time around.

Overall, it was a great book, but I enjoyed some of the other Wimsey mysteries more, so give this 4/5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strong Poison.