Chris's Reviews > Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work

Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew B. Crawford

Sep 29, 09

bookshelves: deep-thoughts
Read in September, 2009

Surprisingly not once is Tim Allen's show within a show "Tool Time" from "Home Improvement" mentioned in this homage to the superiority of the tradesman to the knowledge worker. At a time when more schools were closing down shop programs this TV show which worshipped tinkering with tools was a big hit. But then this is a serious book with no time for comic irony. This book is at times quite thought provoking and other times the reader is left rereading a sentence or two and wondering "what did he just say?" This book also reads like a confessional when the author talks about the conflict in billing customers for time or when he worked as a writer of abstracts. I concur with most of what he says about modern management theory. All in all a fascinating and soulful critique of what we do for pay and leisure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shop Class as Soulcraft.

09/16/2009 page 1
0.41% "I've been waiting since late June for this and now I will have to make it priority one in my reading queue."
09/17/2009 page 18
7.47% "Intro was awesome. Waiting for mention of irony of TV's Tooltime being hit when HS shop class being cut."
show 1 hidden update…