lisa's Reviews > Fractured

Fractured by Karin Slaughter

F 50x66
Sep 16, 2009

This is what I'd have to categorize as a "guilty pleasure". My ex-mother-in-law sent it to me for Christmas, because it took place in Atlanta (she's in the UK). I thought, "Oh dear," and wondered if I'd actually have to read it in order to write a convincing thank you letter. So, I opened it up, and was almost instantaneously hooked. Now, I have nothing against page-turners. But there are many kinds of page-turners. And I tend to think most of them are crap. I read The DaVinci Code. And yes, I turned the pages. But honestly, the premise is pretty fascinating, but the writing is crap. Not so Karin Slaughter. I love this woman! Her metaphors and turns of phrase. Her sarcastic asides. I swear, I freaking love this woman. Was very upset that she wasn't just at the Decatur Book Festival. I love the idea that the main characters are a female cop who had her kid when she was 14, and a male cop who is illiterate. And if you know Atlanta, there are plenty of geographical and political "nods" that are pretty amusing. I couldn't bring myself to give it five stars because it wasn't actually "amazing", but I really did love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fractured.