The_Freddy's Reviews > Goya oder Der arge Weg der Erkenntnis

Goya oder Der arge Weg der Erkenntnis by Lion Feuchtwanger

Sep 16, 2009

bookshelves: 2002-reading-list, art, biography, classics, drama, europe, historical-fiction, history, semi-fiction, spain, german
Read in November, 2002 , read count: 1

This book is so much to me, I love it, I loved reading it, I love thinking about it still and I have to read it again really soon! (On the other hand I want to spare it, because I know how good it is and wait till I read it again... this was my fist Feuchtwanger and maybe I'll just wait till I've read everything else by him...)

Anyway. I only came by Goya (the artist), because the lead singer of my favorite band when I was a teenager (and a bit still) mentioned how much he adored Goya's paintings. Then by chance on my way to Spain at the airport bookstore I saw this painting by Goya on a book cover, read the jacket text and was intrigued.

And this book captured me from the first page. There were so many things, first the incredibly beautiful language of Feuchtwanger, which I hadn't known before. Then his way of telling a story, with so much authority and humbleness at the same time. Then Goya of course, the man, the story, the life.
I lived inside this book for some days, I read sentences and passages over and over again, and still had the impression that there was so much more inside it, which I couldn't reach just then.
It's a complex portrait, frank and stern and exigent, but bristling with life, power, genius and will.
And I really can't say much more about it. When I finished it I was aghast to find out that Feuchtwanger never wrote the second part that was initially intended.

Altogether however, while this is one of my all time favorite books and I also believe it is one of the most important and best books ever written in general - I do not know that everybody would love this book the way I do. Maybe like Feuchtwanger in general is considered an important writer, but not necessarily deemed too read-able. I however have to keep myself from screaming with pleasure whenever I read some of his work.
So I would want to recommend this book to everybody everywhere, but I have a feeling that it is not a book for everybody.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goya oder Der arge Weg der Erkenntnis.

message 1: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie What kind of reader wouldn't like this book? I have to figure out if it is a book for me!