Jamie's Reviews > Don't Know Much about History: Everything You Need to Know about American History But Never Learned

Don't Know Much about History by Kenneth C. Davis

Oct 11, 07

bookshelves: favorite
Recommended for: EVERYONE!
Read in April, 2008

Seriously. Every American should be able to tell a foreigner what the original 13 colonies were. Or at least, what was the shot heard round the world. Or what the Quakers had to do with the Prohibition, or what the New Deal was or any number of pieces of our history. My American History knowledge is like swiss cheese. I have huge holes in my timeline of history. I don't know what I was doing when it was being taught to me, but i definitely wasn't listening. Our history is actually really intriguing - it's bloddy and messy and still pockmarked with missing dead bodies, lost confessions, smoking guns, kidnapped babies and scalped indians wrapped up in smallpox blankets. blech! I've been reading this book for over a month now. It's so scratched up and dogeared and scribbled on and underlined. I can't recomend this book enough - the author is a great writer and an easy read, and i've already re-finished my entire elementary school education.

Especially if you're a parent - read this so your kids can ask you questions and you can have answers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Know Much about History.