FlibBityFLooB's Reviews > The World According to Garp

The World According to Garp by John Irving

The World According to Garp is one of those books that is so unique that I think everyone should read it at some point in their life. The plot revolves around a very interesting mother/son pair. Jenny, the mother, is an odd female nurse who seems asexual and has strong feminism ideas that perpetuate through the story. Most of the book is Garp, Jenny’s son, explaining how his mother came to write an auto-biography that makes her famous, all the while trying to maintain his role as an author himself. I would really love to tell you what the book is about, but I’m afraid I would give away the plot to a point that would ruin the story. Part of the fun of reading this book is in experiencing the dysfunction as the story unfolds, and I think it could ruin your chance of reading it if you know too much about the book going into it. Before reading it, though – be aware that there is a lot of sex and violence in the story. There are body parts constantly being lost in this book: tongues, eyes, ears, arms, male dangly bits, etc.

The reason that I am giving the book 4 stars instead of 5 is merely a style issue that I dislike. I don’t usually enjoy reading books that have a novel/novella inside the novel itself that I have to read. The World According to Garp is about a writer, so there are several little stories you have to endure while reading.

I did re-watch the movie after finishing this book. It’s quite different than the books in a lot of respects, though the spirit is true to the storyline I think :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World According to Garp.

04/16/2010 page 150
33.63% "Re-read. I last read this in 1990 I think... I loved the original GARP patient. Gaaaarrrp. Love the name :)"