Kim's Reviews > Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist

Always Looking Up by Michael J. Fox

Sep 17, 09

Read in September, 2009

When I was younger, I always wished that Alex P. Keaton was my older brother. There was something magnetic about Michael J. Fox's personality even then. Reading this book (and his first book from several years ago) made me love him even more. The title of the book is perfect because if there is anything that comes through in this book, it is that he is incredibly optimistic. Even though he is realistic about his Parkinson's, he maintains this infectious hope that you can just tell has a huge effect on everyone he encounters (okay, except rush limbaugh...). He really makes you root for him. I especially love in this book when he talks about his family. I could tell that he absolutely and sincerely adores his wife and children -- and not because he says that he adores them, but because he shows that he adores them in the stories he tells about them and the way he describes them. It's not just lip service -- he really means it. And it still would be pretty cool to have him for an older brother. Oh, and he gets bonus points for mentioning "This American Life". Overall, I liked his first book better, but I felt like giving this one 4 stars just on the basis of MJF being so completely likeable.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Always Looking Up.