Otis Chandler's Reviews > The Lost Symbol

Sep 16, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: thriller, fiction
Read in October, 2009 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Critics aside, Dan Brown can sure write a thriller. I was stuck in an airport with no book and picked this up, and was done with it in 2 days.

The first half of the book was really gripping, and promised big things. We were going to learn about the secrets of the Masons, and about the "ancient wisdom" that has been lost through the ages. Sounds cool - I wanted to learn more about the ancient wisdom. But the end of the book just fell really flat. The villian was predictable, and we learned nothing about this ancient wisdom.

I also have to say that I almost fell out of bed laughing with Dan Brown plugged Twitter at the end of the book. To be fair, he's right - people are excited about Twitter because it (along with many other websites) is helping cause a shift in our society. But I can't help wondering if 5 years from now, when Twitter is MySpace, people will read that and think "wtf?".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Symbol.

09/29 page 300
58.94% "Picked it up at the airport this weekend and am flying through. Haven't read a thriller in a while - very fun!" 1 comment
02/07 marked as: read

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy I'm glad you marked your spoilers, but I'm also sad that i can't read your review now.

message 2: by TK (new)

TK That is hilarious about Twitter. Thanks for sharing that--I'll never read this book but it sounds like you told me the best part so I'm set!

Shannon I am just now getting to read this book and checked out your review - I will give it a try even though it sounds like it isn't complete enough for me - I hate endings like feel rushed or incomplete. I did find your Twitter comment (now 5 years old!!) funny :)