Joe's Reviews > The Surrogates

The Surrogates by Robert Venditti

Sep 16, 2009

bookshelves: graphic-novel, fiction, sci-fi
Read in September, 2009

I just didn't want to finish the book. Cause that's all folks.

Man, I haven't read a graphic novel this well written in a while. I was a dedicated comic collector as a kid and most of them were nicely done and worth a quick read.

But this drama is not only written extremely well, but it flows effortlessly with the sparse duotone drawings. They don't get in the way, but accentuate the multiple story lines--even with the sublte change in color from scene to scene. Seeing this as a movie would be exciting and perhaps anti-climatic since they have to effectively humanize everything about this for the total visual appeal of the non-comic/graphic novel reading public.

This set contains five issues and each is worth at least a second read. Multi-layered drama and very human relationship. Enjoyed this outing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Surrogates.

09/17/2009 page 19
9.13% "Not surprising vivid and engaging; looking forward to finishing it"
09/17/2009 page 19
9.13% "Not surpringly vivid and engaging; I'm looking forward to finishing this one."
09/17/2009 page 19
9.13% "Not surprisingly vivid and engaging; I'm really looking forward to finishing this one"
09/17/2009 page 33
15.87% "Finished Issue 1 of the 5 issue series; it's amazingly well written; the movie will no doubt spawn a trilogy."
09/18/2009 page 90
43.27% "Whoa!! Nice work; even the two toned graphics make this work on a whole new level."
12/30/2016 marked as: read