Emily's Reviews > The Magic Circle of Rudolf II: Alchemy and Astrology in Renaissance Prague

The Magic Circle of Rudolf II by Peter   Marshall

F_50x66
Sep 16, 09

bookshelves: biography, general-history
Read in September, 2009

I gave this book three stars because it had enough meat to get me through it but the writing is definitely a two star effort and GoodReads doesn't allow me to assign a half-star.

I was very disappointed in this book. The writing is dry and technical with little love or verve on the subject. Some of the chapters were fantastic, as was the one on John Dee, but the latter part of the book focuses on Rudolf's decline and it reads like a rendition of a list of facts.

I wanted more. More on the alchemists. More on the astrologers. More on their culture and their books. More on some of the local players and politics. More on the Church and the Counter-Reformation. More on the Jesuits and the Capuchin Monks!

There's just not enough meat on this book for me to recommend it. For a vague overview of this period in Prague's history it's fine, but for more on Alchemy and Astrology in Renaissance Prague, it means looking for other sources.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic Circle of Rudolf II.