Trunatrschild's Reviews > North of Ithaka: A Granddaughter Returns to Greece and Discovers Her Roots

North of Ithaka by Eleni N. Gage

Nov 09, 09

Read in November, 2009

I got this book from a recommendation from the Folklore Society, based on the fact that the author has a degree in Folklore and went back to Greece to finish a family saga, and it's a secondary book to her father's book "Eleni".
Unfortunately, this is probably her first book. It's very self conscious and the dialogue is very mundane. I was hoping for a lot more folklore, but I think that the author was trying more for 'atmosphere'. I think that the book has potential, but as is, it's very boring. I think if the author was more experienced, it might have been a better book, the idea is very good. I've spent some time in Greece and Turkey and I know that there was so much more that she could have said, but was probably vetting it for an American audience, whereas if she hadn't, it might have been more interesting. For example, she described several perilous driving incidences, leaving it up to us to imagine driving conditions in Greece, instead of explaining that a lot of Greece is vertical and the roads very very narrow. She has a stone house built, but doesn't explain that most houses are stone in the country as Greece has a plethora of stones.
I think that if she'd explained more of Greece and just wove her story into it, it would have been more interesting, instead the story came out as very mundane. The most explaining she did that I notice was when she visited Albania and compared Greece to Albania, calling Albania a dump is leaving out so much, like what post Communist poverty has done to the country.
Anyway, it is very difficult to finish the book, even though I think it has a lot of potential.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read North of Ithaka.

message 1: by Joan (Mooncat) (new)

Joan (Mooncat) sounds cool, is this a true story type thing or fiction?

Trunatrschild I think it's a true story. I found the review in the Folklore UK magazine, saying that it has worthwhile folklore in it.

message 3: by Joan (Mooncat) (new)

Joan (Mooncat) another one, you are makeing my reading list bigger than mmy house. Dont stop

Trunatrschild :) oh man... you don't say! well, it's better to have a huge wish list than not I guess!

message 5: by Joan (Mooncat) (new)

Joan (Mooncat) the wish list is huge, the motivation may need building up

Trunatrschild I have motivation because I'd go insane if I couldn't read... I do like this type of book that isn't so 'tome-ish' though... I can get bogged down.

message 7: by Joan (Mooncat) (new)

Joan (Mooncat) i have a similar problem, so many books, so little time

Trunatrschild That's the problem... we need to read more. :o)

message 9: by Joan (Mooncat) (new)

Joan (Mooncat) if i read any more i would grow pages

Trunatrschild I think pages are better than growing bytes behind the ears. :) If this computer was less addicting, I'd read more! :) It's plain escapism... reading is fundamental.

message 11: by Joan (Mooncat) (new)

Joan (Mooncat) so very true, but even more, reading is FUN

Trunatrschild Yes... but it's funny, I was reading my prehistory book before class started, but once it started, it became WORK. :o) And it's my favorite topic! *sigh*

message 13: by Joan (Mooncat) (new)

Joan (Mooncat) now thats a damm shame. I under stand, i loved writing, till i had to write 2 10 page essays for english comp class. and Im not majoring in English, im majoring in Holistic healing.