☯Bettie☯'s Reviews > The Lost Symbol

Mar 06, 14

bookshelves: published-2009
Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** 26/05/2010 INSERT

Apparently/allegedly David Cumming has found the meaning of the Lost Symbol.

He has written a book about it - now how about that!

---------------

Unabridged and read by Michael Paul

- There is a long lecture and knuckles will be rapped for active inattention to detail. Observed behaviours such as smirking at smugness and zelotry will get you detention.

- After a double period of searching the pencilcase for a blunt stanley knife AND a noose (not the imitation masonic sort) there is a games period. Some action, a bit of a story, some more action, a twist that we all saw coming followed by a twist I did not. Then we play something akin to hunt-the-thimble.

- That deep staircase has been located - it is the chasm into the dark depths of melancholy within the mind that has been peered into by sitting through the horror of .Dan.Brown's.Last.Lecture. It will have been his last if I catch hold of him AND i'd frisk the pockets of the corpse to reimburse all of us who have paid to suffer this crap.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Symbol.

09/21/2009 "Chapter 77. " 2 comments
09/21/2009 "Chapter 93" 5 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayes (new)

Hayes I just can't... Da Vinci was bearable, but Angels and Demons was too painful for words. I shall live vicariously through your review.

☯Bettie☯ Hayes wrote: "I just can't... Da Vinci was bearable, but Angels and Demons was too painful for words. I shall live vicariously through your review."

I read this so you don't have to

message 3: by Hayes (new)

Hayes The sacrificial lamb, and all that! Eternally grateful!

☯Bettie☯ Oh the symbolism in a Sunday roast lamb. Dante is here in this book too - one has to travel far to get away from that work, and of course the question is 'Why bother to duck Dante at all'.

Totally off track - what is your fav colour as I'm kernitting socks-for-reading-in for folk I have enjoyed over this last year.

:O)

message 5: by Hayes (new)

Hayes too sweet!! thank you!!

any color but pink

message 6: by Wanda (new)

Wanda Oh, you are a brave one!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Dishcloth Number One is back from the retreat, and I think I shall be casting on Number Two fairly soon.

☯Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "Dishcloth Number One is back from the retreat, and I think I shall be casting on Number Two fairly soon.

You missed .that. parachute moment?

message 9: by Hayes (new)

Hayes Susanna wrote: "I couldn't finish Angels and Demons; I got bored. I'm not sure what this says about me!"

It says that you are a superior person of great intelligence!

I, unfortunately, read through to the end and almost wet myself laughing at the parachute scene. Does anyone know how big the Tiber isn't?

Your socks are assured and I will pop a pair in for Judy too.

message 12: by Grace (new)

Grace Tjan LOL. Should I make this my first Dan Brown book ever?

☯Bettie☯ Sandybanks wrote: "LOL. Should I make this my first Dan Brown book ever?"

You may need to keep a REM or Carpenters cd handy (music to slit your wrists to) as a backup option. This is how I now view Mr Brown:

message 14: by Hayes (new)

Hayes Brilliant... will have to keep that in mind for a few people I know!!

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee Some sick part of me now wants to read this. I'm curious.

☯Bettie☯ Lee wrote: "Some sick part of me now wants to read this. I'm curious. "

Hello there Lee - after that *yawn* info dump at the beginning there was a bit in the middle where I honestly thought it would rate a low 3* result but then we had that very l-o-n-g, onerous diatribe of a finale that made me reach for the bucket. It was so unpalatable that in the end one star is there only for the lovely voice of Michael Paul.

But - horses for course, you may like it.

Are pink socks ok for you?

And have you read Tom Holt's two book in memory of EF Benson? I'm in Lucia in Wartime and loving it

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee Hi Bettie,

1. I love pink, thank-you.
2. I have not read Tom Holt's book about EF Benson but will check it out. I will get back to that series probably over the winter, very fun.
3. I have started the first of your dishcloths and have already made a few (tiny) but not too noticeable mistakes. I started 3 times and ripped everything out but now I'm just going on because it's not supposed to be torture right? :-)

message 18: by A&E (new)

A&E Thanks for taking the hit for the rest of us!

message 19: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Sep 22, 2009 10:19AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads http://www.slate.com/id/2228327/
- the Dan Brown Sequel Generator.

I think my favorite "shadowy organization" on it is Major League Baseball. Though I also like the Boy Scouts of America, the Mounties, and the International Olympic Committee.

☯Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "http://www.slate.com/id/2228327/
- the Dan Brown Sequel Generator.

How much fun! Thanks for finding this - I put in Paris with the UN and I'll have a gander at the Mounties as they are second only to the All Blacks in my fantasies of favorite teams of men.

message 21: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Sep 22, 2009 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

☯Bettie☯ Alyssa wrote: "Thanks for taking the hit for the rest of us!"

Hello there Ayssa, sometimes it's just what the doctor ordered, a book so dreadful that one doesn't need to feel guilty about telling it as it is for once.

☯Bettie☯ Lee wrote: "Hi Bettie,

1. I love pink, thank-you.
3. I have ..."

Pink it is, and as for it's not meant to be torture - no it si not. It's supposed to be yoga for fidgety fingers plus a sense of pride at the end, regardless of the little 'flourishes' that render an item individual. I will be honoured to have your squares.

Did I tell you that I will not be using them as dish cloths - M said it would be good to sew all these squares into a sofa-thow as a reminder of the folk who have donated to the cause, so don't be afriad to add your signature.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Well, Dishcloth Number One is a rectangle, but Number Two shall be a square!

message 24: by Hayes (new)

Hayes I'm starting to worry about the little stick figure guy... his head must be pretty sore by now!!

;-)

☯Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "Well, Dishcloth Number One is a rectangle, but Number Two shall be a square!"

Hah-hah! It is like tiling - I shall kerknit in the space fillers, and your embroidery is so shit hot good that your initials would be a doddle.

I will post piccies

message 26: by Lee (new)

Lee Oh no, the pressure is on now!

☯Bettie☯ Hayes wrote: "I'm starting to worry about the little stick figure guy... his head must be pretty sore by now!!

;-)"

Don't worry about him, Hayes, you caring person, you! - it's easier for him to glasgow kiss the wall than read this book.

☯Bettie☯ Lee wrote: "Oh no, the pressure is on now! "

No pressure as such.

bwhahahaha - yes there is - I lied!

message 29: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Sep 22, 2009 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

☯Bettie☯ Bettie wrote: "Lee wrote: "Oh no, the pressure is on now! "

No pressure as such.

bwhahahaha - yes there is - I lied!

SRSLY - I'm just jesting, hope you know that; I am looking forward to them there cloths and I really hope they are not perfect - no character in anything that is perfect is there.

message 30: by Lee (new)

Lee I know you were just joking and never fear, they won't be perfect. I just don't want your blanket to look crappy because of me. You will have a fun time camoflauging my squares when you knit them all together. I hope you post a picture of the finished product on ravelry.

You like?

message 32: by Lee (new)

Lee I love them! Thank you. They look like the perfect socks to keep my cold feet warm all winter.

I'm still working on the dishcloths.....

☯Bettie☯ Wanda wrote: "Oh, you are a brave one!"

Hope you like

;-)"

Hope you like them
xx

For you and Judy - hope you like.

xx

☯Bettie☯ Shamelessly skagged from flister 'Meg', here is the Guardian's take on bad writing from Dan Brown:

message 38: by Grace (last edited Sep 30, 2009 09:10AM) (new)

Grace Tjan "14. Angels and Demons, chapter 100: Bernini's Fountain of the Four Rivers glorified the four major rivers of the Old World - The Nile, Ganges, Danube, and Rio Plata.
The Rio de la Plata. Between Argentina and Uruguay. One of the major rivers of the Old World. Apparently."

LOL. And Robert Langdon is supposed to be a Harvard scholar?

I'm tempted to read one of his books just for these.

message 39: by Hayes (new)

Hayes Bettie wrote: "Hope you like them
xx"

Bee you tea full,

:-)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Dishcloth Number Two is on the needles, and is varigated red.

☯Bettie☯ Sandybanks wrote: ""14. Angels and Demons, chapter 100: Bernini's Fountain of the Four Rivers glorified the four major rivers of the Old World - The Nile, Ganges, Danube, and Rio Plata.
The Rio de la Plata. Between A..."

snortable stuff indeed

:O)

☯Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "Dishcloth Number Two is on the needles, and is varigated red."

Yay - that sounds like a fun geometric colour. Thank you.

☯Bettie☯ Thanks for the 'like' Lisa - it was great fun ripping this to shreds.

☯Bettie☯ Thanks Inna