Miss Kim's Reviews > Shiver

Sep 16, 2009

bookshelves: paranormal, young-adult, 2010, favorites
Recommended to Miss Kim by: YA PR fans
Read from April 18 to 20, 2010

This is a different take on werewolves, and I really liked it. Grace and Sam first meet when she is eleven, and attacked by his pack of wolves. He was a wolf and for some reason he didn’t understand, he saved her and took her away from the attack. Grace has been fascinated by this yellowed eyed wolf ever since. Her backyard touches the forest, so she is able to observe the wolves all winter.

These wolves shapeshift based on the temperature changes of the seasons. During summer, they are human and during winter they are wolves. Unlike other ‘were’ stores I’ve read, when these are in wolf form, they do not continue to have human thoughts and emotions--they are all animal. As a wolf, Sam doesn’t remember his human life.

The first time he meets Grace as a human, (he is 18, she is 17) she finds him shot and bleeding on her back deck. He’s a naked boy, and it’s freezing outside. She brings him in, and helps him out and quickly realizes that this is her wolf. His yellow eyes give him away. We just have to go with the flow that this is a story and she just immediately believes in werewolves. Her parents are pretty much absentees, so she is able to keep Sam in her room for quite a while before they even know he has been there.

Sam is running out of time because this is his last season as a human before he becomes a wolf for the rest of his life. He doesn’t tell this to Grace at first, and he just wants to spend as much time with her as he can. Oh yes--Grace was bitten by a wolf years ago, wasn’t she? Why has she not changed into a wolf? Is she going to? Meanwhile, some other kids have been bitten by wolves, and there is a really good subplot going on with good side characters.

Ok, I'm rambling and not really saying what I want to say. I will just stop now. Check out some of the other reviews on this one.
You can feel their sadness as the time ticks by. I really liked it, and I look forward to the second in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

04/18/2010 page 70
17.95% "Interesting. These werewolves change based on temperature."
03/13/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

new_user Yes, you can really feel that sadness, I agree.

message 2: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina I'm not a big fan of YA books, but this one I really want to read. The blue print is an added bonus. :)

message 3: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy Fantastic review, Kim!

message 4: by Miss Kim (last edited Apr 20, 2010 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miss Kim Honestly, I didn't notice the blue print at first until I read a review that mentioned it. Perhaps I always read in poor light! lol It's subtle, almost a slivery blue. It is a very pretty book.

Thanks, Rossy. :)

message 5: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Amazing Review Kim, this sounds really good! *runs off to find herself a copy!*

Miss Kim Thanks, Rane! I think if the reader can ignore the review comparisons to Stephenie Meyer, they will enjoy.

Teryl I think I'm going to have to give this one a try.

Julie S. The font is blue? I didn't even notice that.

Gwen Haaland I know nothing about font colors as I listened to this book as an EXCELLENT audio book narrated by a male and female playing each taking turns playing the part of Sam and Grace. The narrators were unbelievably convincing as these characters.

I was pleasantly surprised that this YA book was so good.

message 10: by Azra (new) - rated it 5 stars

Azra I never listened to audio books and i never would. seriously.
i loved this book and i dislike your review. Oh and I loved how the font was blue..and green in the second one and hopefully red in the third one.:)

Ronyell Awesome review Kim!! I really enjoyed this book too and I can't wait to read the second book!!

Miss Kim The second book is waaay depressing, Ronyell. Just in case you've not come across that yet. It's worth reading, though, and I am anxious to get the third.

Ronyell Oh, thanks for the heads up Kim!! :D

message 14: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby Min Loved the review!!!!!!!!