Sally's Reviews > Going Bovine

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Sep 24, 11

bookshelves: ya, adventure, fantasy, america, school
Read in September, 2011, read count: 1

Bought this in Den Haag because I realised I was going to run out of reading material before I ran out of travel! And then left it with Manuela. IT WAS ACTUALLY REALLY AWESOME OMG! I grabbed it because it was half price and I loved Libba Bray's Great and Terrible Beauty trilogy, but I'd never been certain enough of Going Bovine to actually get it until it was that or twiddle my thumbs on a dozen different trains. I mean, there's a cow on the cover. That's kind of not me at all.

It started off okay... I was a little unsure, Cam's voice was just a bit too much at times, a little over the top/try-hard or something, I wasn't sure if I liked the way it was written/told. But I was still at least curious, the story seemed an interesting enough one.

And then it started to get really, really weird. Like, fire giants and shit. And I was thinking three stars, maybe two if it went even further like this. I mean, it was all too much and so not ME. But then... it actually started to grow on me. I loved Gonzo and Balder, and the road trip was really exciting - the whole following random shit which made me go wtf at first started to build up a lot, and the places they went to were, for the most part, really interesting. I had a mild thought in the middle that it was probably all going to just be a dream, since Cameron kept having dreams of being in the hospital, but then it began to just be SO real that I knew he really was on this road trip, you know? Everything was so detailed and so realistic, his parents/sister calling him etc - even the weird fantasy shit felt real. And Dulcie, omg Dulcie. Such a crush on her! I was really shipping her and Cam and I don't usually do that.

The universe just felt like a bizarre one where this could all happen - I mean the SPEW tests at school were real, so why not the snow globes? (view spoiler) Great characters, great story, so much better than I was expecting :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Bovine.