Trixie Fontaine's Reviews > The Motel Life

The Motel Life by Willy Vlautin

Sep 16, 09

bookshelves: favorites
Read in September, 2009

I couldn't help hearing most people's voices in this book sounding like Moe's voice on The Simpsons. Moe is my fave Simpson character, so maybe that partially explains my love for this beautiful, sad fucking book. The other part of the explanation is just that it's a pretty special book. I was afraid going into it that it would be unbearably depressing, but it wasn't. Depressing, yes . . . but just squeaks by as BARELY bearable. I did find myself with tears dripping down my face a few times, but they were gritty and slow and tiredly sweet, not headache-inducing wailers.

It felt very American, very WESTERN American and like it could have taken place any time between 1930 and the present (even though there are real events that place it in one specific time period).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Motel Life.

09/15/2009 page 69
28.75% "Call me simple, but I love reading a book that has small drawings at the beginning of each chapter."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

David Usually I'm put off by depressing books but this sounds very interesting, and with little pictures at the beginning of each chapter I'm sold!

Trixie Fontaine I think you'll enjoy it!

David I hope so (just ordered it from amazon), the last few books I've read have failed to grab me and I'm finding I want to read less and less. But I am determined to beat this apathy!

David What a great book, such a sad story and I empathised very strongly with Frank/Jerry Lee (I was so glad for them when they finally had a little good fortune at the boxing match).

Since reading this I've starting listening to Richmond Fontaine (Willy Vlautin's band which you probably know), great lyrics and exactly the kind of music I could imagine Frank/Jerry Lee listening to.

So that's two good reasons to thank you for bringing this book to my attention :)

Trixie Fontaine Yay! I'm so glad you liked it. And I will have to check out Richmond Fontaine; I read about him/his band, but didn't bother to give a listen. Any particular tracks you think I should check out?

David I've still only heard their most recent album, a lot of the songs kind of remind me of the little stories Frank invents in the book. These two are probably my favourite-

http://hypem.com/track/902160/Richmon... (love the trumpets, sounds a bit like Calexico)

http://hypem.com/track/1004999/Richmo... (is that somebody playing a saw in the background?)

Trixie Fontaine Oh god YES! That IS a saw! I am totally sold after only hearing two bars. Thanks!