Sarah Burns's Reviews > Provenance: How a Con Man and a Forger Rewrote the History of Modern Art

Provenance by Laney Salisbury

Sep 22, 09

bookshelves: favorites, non-fiction, mystery
Read in September, 2009

I loved this book. I just simply adored it. I loved how the characters were developed, where in the beginning you admired Drewe for his talent for manipulating people, thinking, "Dang. I wish I could do that. Make my life easier." Then, as the book goes on, you see how his genius criminality takes a slow spiral into insanity, unbalanced perception of truth, and violence. You lose sympathy with him just in time to enjoy the experience of police building evidence against him and watching him butcher his own legal defense by becoming his legal defense.

I highly suggest this book to people who love real life and the fun people in it. The greatest shock to my system was reading my book, knowing that it was non-fiction, but not having it sink in that they were real people. Then I read the agnologements. And read the people I had admired and laughed with and grew angry with thanking the authors for DINNER AND INFORMATION! and it suddenly hit me HEY, THEY'RE REAL, I COULD TALK TO THEM IF I HAD THEIR TELEPHONE NUMBERS! I love nonfiction.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Provenance.

09/15/2009 page 64
18.18% "Find Drewe facinating in the way he manupulates people. Don't know how I feel about him in general..."
show 1 hidden update…