Yvette's Reviews > Here on Earth

Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman

Nov 02, 07

bookshelves: dysfunctional-families-fiction
Read in November, 2007

Hoffman did a wonderful job in writing this book. The characters have a lot of depth and are brought to life with her vivid words. Her writing style in this book is very descriptive and sometimes poetic. The way she describes love is so profound, it’s not the sort of description that is lengthy and you want to just skim over, no, it’s lyrical and holds your interest.

Now, the characters, hmmmm, where to begin? They are so real and my distaste for March and my strong dislike for Hollis are also real. I hate how this woman treats her life so carelessly; I would elaborate but I don’t want to ruin it for those who have not read the book. Those of us who have, know what I mean! There are times you just want to smack her for being so selfish! And Hollis, he is so revengeful and mean. Yes, there are times we feel sad for the little boy that he was and we want to make it go away, but the grown man he becomes is shameful. Hank and Alan you just want to mother. Gwen you want to give a big hug and tell her how proud you are of her. Belinda and Richard are such good souls you wish they were part of your family. The other characters, even the ones with cameo appearances are full of depth. Hoffman does a wonderful job in forming them and allowing us to see their past, their emotion, and even who they will become in the future.

I really enjoyed this book although it made me really angry at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here on Earth.