Jill's Reviews > As I Live and Breathe: Notes of a Patient Doctor

Sep 15, 09

liked it
bookshelves: memoir, cancer, medical
Read in September, 2009

Each of the chapters in Weisman's book shed light on a different aspect of the practice of medicine as well as society's take on these issues. She has as balanced an opinion as you can get in these matters, considering she is both a doctor and a patient. But sometimes when she departs from example and drifts into monologues, she gets a bit preachy and it feels like she is repeating herself.

I liked that the book didn't follow a specific timeline, but rather Weisman let her story evolve through others' stories. She is honest in her depiction of chronic illness and death. I thought her story about trying to get pregnant sounded much the same as many I have read, but perhaps that is simply the nature of such stories.

I don't know that Weisman adds a great deal to the cannon of "doctor-patient-authors," as there are many other memoirs out there similar to this one, but it was an enjoyable read and I'm glad Weisman shared her story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As I Live and Breathe.