Isabella's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Sep 01, 08

Read in September, 2008

The story is narrated by Death himself (I will boldly assume that Death in this work of fiction is male). That is about all it takes to get me interested.

Most of the time, he stays in the background and lets the life of Liesel, the title-giving 'book thief' unfold. Every now and again, there are segments of morbidity and, curiously, much regret voiced by death. I had very high hopes for the story and am happy to say, that I was not disappointed.

The story plays in Germany in the 30s, so it obviously is about WW II and all that that includes. However, it differs from many other stories set in that period so far as it is not so much about the Holocaust and the suffering of the Jewish people. Everything happens from the perspective of a young German girl (strangely enough she is not Catholic) - as told by Death, of course - seperated from her family and sent to relative safety in a Munich suburb.

I do not often recommend books because I realize that tastes vary widely and have more than once had bad experiences with books that were given me followed by, "You are going to like this." So, I am reluctant about doing so now. I did like it and I am sure that many others would do. A warning though: it is nearly 600 pages long. Yeah, I know, so what? But book that exceed a length of, say 200-300 pages scare some people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.