Stephanie's Reviews > Alaska

Alaska by James A. Michener

Jun 09, 14

bookshelves: currently-reading

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alaska.

06/20 page 410
05/14 marked as: read
06/09 marked as: currently-reading
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mandie Good book! I used to live up in Nome, so I found this book really interesting.

message 2: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Hey Mandie-
I AM ACTUALLY LIVING UP IN FAIRBANKS at the moment- thus the reason for me reading the book.. I am enjoying it.
WOW- Nome-When did you live in Nome and for how long?

Mandie Stephanie wrote: "Hey Mandie-
WOW- Nome-When did you live in Nome and for how long?"

I lived up in Nome back in 1992, when I was in grade 8. We weren't there for too long, but I did get to see mushers cross the finish line at the Iditarod that year, and I got to spend a fun summer under the "midnight sun". I really miss it and hope to return for a visit someday. People who have never been to Alaska don't know what they are missing!

What do you do in Fairbanks?

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 22, 2010 05:09PM) (new) - added it

Stephanie My husband and I are both Occupational Therapists (not sure if you know what that is but if not, it is similar to physical therapists). We work for a national company that specializes in placing us in temporary assignements wherever we want in the USA. We usually stay somewhere for 3-6 months, but we wanted to experience a full year up here- so we got a contract with our company to work in the schools as therapists up here from Aug 09 to May 2010. We are then planning on staying up here for the summer and traveling around to see the rest of the state.
We love to travel so te job is just perfect for us because we get to see lots of different places throughout the country. We are really loving it up here.
Where do you live and what do you do for a living?

Mandie That would be amazing, to go to different assignments all over the U.S. like that! We used to move around a lot when I was a kid, which is how I got to spend grade 8 up in Nome, and I loved getting to know a new town every few months. Now I live down in Prince George, BC. I'm an administrative assistant for a real estate/property management firm, so I know all about occupational therapy (carpal tunnel, next to paper cuts, is the bain of my profession!).
Summer in Alaska is the most amazing thing, I hope you get to do some camping once the weather warms up and the days get long!

Mandie How are you liking "Alaska" so far?

message 7: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 04, 2010 10:52AM) (new) - added it

Stephanie Hey Mandie! I am really enjoying the book Alaska- As you know, the book is close to 900 pages long, but the nice thing about it is that every few chapters is like a story in itself(making it easy to read some and then put aside while you are reading other things) I am learning so much though and in a very fun way. I am about half way through it- working on several other books at the moment as well. I think you are the one who said I, Caldius is great too, correct?
As for camping, we are planning on getting a slide in camper for the back of the truck and we do have a tent. We will spend the majority of the summer camping in one capacity or another. We have been told that many campgrounds do not allow tent camping because of the bears (thus the reason for getting a slide in truck camper)
What are you reading now? (actually, just checked my email again and got your other message regardng I, Claudius and what you are reading now) Is the book your reading now about true crime scarey? I tend to have an overactive imagination and if it is gruesome, I would probably not be able to sleep for days

Mandie I liked the stuff about the Native Corporations, mostly because I got to see how it all turned out! I've been doing the same thing with Les Miserables, picking it up, read it a bit, pick up something else. I have been reading it for over a year in this way, but I will finish someday!

Yes, bears can be an issue when camping! One time we were driving down the loneliet road I have ever seen outside of Nome and my sister says "Look, a grizzly!" and sure enough, running along side the truck was the biggest bear I have ever seen! It kept pace with us for a long time before we finally lost sight of it. That same day we also saw a herd of reindeer. It was amazing!

message 9: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie We have a few good pics of bears that we took on our way up here. We were in a little town called Smithers, BC and also in Hyder AK ( they are next to one antoher) It is amazing to see wildlife so close up, but you just need to respect it and know you are no longer at the top of the food chain.
Are you originally from Canada or are you from the US, just living in Canada at the moment?

Mandie I am Canadian, born in Newfoundland, but we moved around a lot when I was a kid, mostly in Canada, but we also lived in Minnesota and of course, Nome. My dad used to work as a health inspector, and we were in a new town usually every year.

Hyder always sounded like an interesting frontier type town. I have never been there, but I heard that they have their little tradition of making tourists drink a shot of Everclear, which I'm pretty sure can't be good for you!