Alison's Reviews > The Feast of Love

The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter

Jul 23, 15

Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Don't read the jacket blurb--it's reductive in that reductive book jacket way, and the characters, summarized, sound completely banal (or else cringe-inducing) (or both). But they're not! Baxter is such a wonderful writer. Every time I read one of his books, it reminds me all over again why he's such an MFA program darling--and also why, despite this novel's being a National Book Award finalist and all that, nobody outside the MFA world seems to read him. There are so many things to love in this book: the tongue-in-cheek meta-narrative opening that unsettles the realism of the rest of the novel; how Chloe's language is utterly right for her character, and how much more ambitious it is than a great many writers' rendering of kid speech (she's uneducated but smart; she uses big words to try to express the size of her feelings); the refusal to choose between two conflicting views of the same event, when that event is love, and one person is in it and the other isn't; and Baxter's fearlessness about using a happy ending when a happy ending actually works. He takes things that sound schlocky (**here be spoilers**) like a sudden death that draws people together, or a nice guy who loves women who aren't nice and treat him badly, or a sad pair of parents with a sick son--and shows us why, at some point in, like, literary history, those things were once moving to us, and how they can be, again. Lovely stuff.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Feast of Love.