K's Reviews > A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table

F_50x66
Sep 21, 09

bookshelves: memoirs, cooking, situation-not-a-story
Recommended to K by: Katherine Landwehr, Amazon
Recommended for: fans of cooking memoirs and sentimental love stories

As a fan of cookbooks and cooking memoirs, there was a lot for me to like here. Molly's writing is very engaging; her recipes looked interesting although most probably don't suit my lifestyle; there were some touching moments as she described her father's death. There were some other things I liked less. I'm ambivalent, at best, about the whole blog-into-book genre; invariably, I find myself wishing I could have read the book as a blog -- in installments -- rather than as a whole book. The love story was cute at first, but quickly became cloyingly sentimental and overly perfect -- not my thing.

Overall, a decent read if you like cooking memoirs and especially if you like sentimental love stories. I prefer Ruth Reichl's books myself, but this wasn't bad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Homemade Life.

09/15/2009 "Well thank G-d SOMEONE had a happy childhood..." 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riv (new) - rated it 4 stars

Riv I like her Bon Appetit columns a lot... any good recipes??

message 2: by K (new) - rated it 3 stars

K So far I've copied a few down because they sounded good in theory, but I don't know whether I'll actually end up making them. It's an enjoyable read, though.

message 3: by Riv (new) - rated it 4 stars

Riv Check out her blog: orangette.blogspot.com; mostly she's all about her new restaurant now, but she's a fairly engaging writer in general, plus she posts some recipes there too.

message 4: by K (new) - rated it 3 stars

K Yes -- one thing about the book is that it got me interested in reading her blog. I really do like her writing; I just think that, for a full-length book, I need more than a collection of essays, even if they do come with recipes. After a while, it felt repetitive.

message 5: by Riv (new) - rated it 4 stars

Riv Did you read "Julie & Julia?" I picked it up at someone's house and read the first 30 pages or so, found it very readable (alas, no recipes :)

message 6: by K (new) - rated it 3 stars

K Yup -- I did read Julie & Julia, and reviewed it a while back. Like this one, I thought it was okay, not great. I suspect I would like the movie better, if it ever arrives in Israel. But it was readable, as this one was; just that it also suffered from the usual blog-into-book limitations.