Adrienne's Reviews > Stranger

Stranger by Megan Hart

2087365
Sep 15, 2009

Read in December, 2009

5 big stars for the latest addition to my Megan Hart library. I started this book on the back of Hush Hush because I needed something, moving emotional and sexy from an author who I knew could deliver, and I was not disappointed.

Grace who runs her own funeral home and pays for sex, for the sole reason that she sees so much grief and loss she doesn't want to have to go through that if she becomes involved with someone and becomes the 'one left alone' I can understand that, I can see exactly where she's coming from, and if I worked in that environment maybe I'd feel the same! Jack (from the earler book Dirty) works as an escort and whilst waiting for Jack one night Grace inadvertantly hooks up with Sam and so begins the story, of how Jack starts to fall for Grace, of how Grace slowly starts to fall for Sam and how ulitmately Grace comes to terms with her inner turmoil. If only it were that simple though.....As with all of Megan Harts books there is a totally separate story involving family (both immeadiate and external (I'm including her staff here))issues running along side the main protags story (and why is it that in every book a member of my family rears their head? in this book it was Graces Dad who could, quite frankly, be my own!!) which put together with the choices and decisions that Grace and Sam make, pull the reader along on an emotional bitttersweet journey.
I love Megans observations of human nature and emotion, I love the subtle little twists she puts in place, and I love her scorching hot 'between the sheets' action which is neither smutty,cheap nor vulgar but really beautiful!! This story has a HEA for everyone, I especially loved the HEA for Jack whose girlfriend Sarah made the crossover from 'Broken'. All in all another winner for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stranger.

12/29/2009 "This is pushing all the right reading buttons for me:)"
12/31/2009 page 241
55.79% "I've been pulled into Graces' life and understand ctotally why she's like she is...."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Jack was pretty much my favorite thing about this book. :)

message 2: by Rane (new)

Rane Fantastic review Adrienne!
I've had Megan Hart books on my wishlist for sometimes now, I may move them up and place them on my TBR pile :)

Adrienne Aww Rane I love Megan Harts writing so much so that her books have become a compulsion for me:)Her stories are very emo and can tear you (universal) apart, but I guess I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. I also love that they are written from the first person point of view, I can empathize with the characters , understand them better and whilst I have no desire to be them, I can be in their heads as the story unfolds. Awesome!

message 4: by Shawna (new) - added it

Shawna Great review, Adrienne!

I've got several Megan Hart books on my TBR pile that I need to read.

Adrienne Thanks Shawna! give her a try, see what you think:)

message 6: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Hart's a great author for an emotional roller coaster ride of a read. I just wish she'd switch from writing only in first person :-/

message 7: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Great review, Adrienne! I've got a bunch of Megan Hart books to read too, but for some reason, I don't have this one. I'm going to make in a point for 2010 to finally get to that Megan Hart TBR pile!

Adrienne Eastofez ~ I've always liked first person narrative, so I guess for me it's second nature.

message 9: by K. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K. Adrienne: Loved your review . . . so much it made me crave another Hart book, so I immediately went and found "Switched," and can't wait to start that one. I love this author so much now, I don't even care what the subject matter is ("Switched" is a Dom/Sub story, which is WAAAAAYYYY out of my realm of interest with any other author!!). But after reading the one review here on it, as always, I had to check it out. Seems every one of us who write a review on any of her books always note the "emotions" she puts into a story captivate us from the get-go. This reviewer was no different. Even though you liked "Stranger" more than I did, it still had the "emotional resonance" I now crave from a Hart story. ;)
K.

Adrienne Auntee ~ Look forward to your reviews, alot of people didn't like this one , but I felt it was as strong as her other books, just different.

Adrienne K ~ I've had to avoid the review of 'Switch' as Amazon UK is not dispatching copies of this until February, but I so want to read it. I guessed it was a Dom/Sub story and I think it's the guy who's the sub, but the title would also lead me to believe that he 'switches' between the two? If it's anything like her other books (and I've no reason to think otherwise ) we're in for another marvellous read, I think the subject matter will take the emo stuff up a notch, pretty much like Jacks side of things in Stranger did.

message 12: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet Great review Adrienne! And I didn't know previous characters were making appearances in this one. I'll definitely be careful and read my Hart books Dirty/Broken/Stranger in order of publication. Thanks!