FlibBityFLooB's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Oct 22, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, read-in-2010, dystopian, witty-i-am-not
Read from October 18 to 22, 2010

I usually really enjoy a dystopian post-apoclyptic novel more than most, but this one left me cold on several fronts.

The basic gist of the story is an asteroid hits the moon and causes immense changes to the teenage heroine's lifestyle.

Issue 1: not enough mayhem ensues with the events in the story. I would easily expect more looting and depravity in this type of scenario. Everything seemed too put together. For example, the coastal regions are decimated ... yet internet access is still available when power is working. Hmmmm...

Issue 2: too much teenager whining angst. Yes, this was a young adult book, but others I have read within the same genre were more sophisticated at telling the story from the perspective of the teenager without sounding like a contrived plot device.

Issue 3: there was a lot of anti-Christianity thoughts in this book. Characters that had any faith in their life were portrayed as weak and ignorant. It got old to me very quickly.

I still will likely read more in the series to see if anything changes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.

10/19/2010 page 50
10/20/2010 page 100
30.0% "So, this is an interesting dystopian tale so far... But, it is also annoyingly young-adult. I've read lots of YA books that aren't annoying, but this one is full of whiny teenager amidst end-of-world scenarios. Kind of spoils the fun. Also, there is a lot of picking on Christians in the dialogue so far, which I disagree with."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Steph Hey Flib! I've got this up soon on my relay reads and other challenges. Hope you like it! I'll be interested in reading your review. :)

FlibBityFLooB I listened to disc 1 earlier today of the audiobook and found it intriguing so far :)

Steph Great - Thanks. :) I'll check out your final review when you're all done.

message 4: by Nan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nan I just have a quick comment about Issue #3. Yes, religion is pretty negative in this book, but the second book has an entirely different take. The protagonist in that one is a NY Puerto Rican teen called Alex. He and his family are Catholic, and the church becomes an important source of help.

I have to admit that I haven't read the third book yet, so I can't comment on that one, but I don't think Pfeffer was trying to denigrate all religion--just the twisted faith of the people in that one church.

FlibBityFLooB THat's good to know, Nan :) I'll keep my eyes peeled at the library for book 2 then

Allie I didn't really like the book either. I'm not religeous, but it did seem like the author's own views shined through too much. I liked your review though:)

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret I really appreciate the heads-up on the anti-Christian viewpoint....I'll pass on this one. :)