Chris's Reviews > Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible

Good Book by David Plotz

Sep 16, 09

Because I grew up in a religious environment, I find secular views on the bible interesting. David Plotz made the choice to read his Jewish Bible for the first time. This was a new experience for him as he had forgotten most of the things he learned in Hebrew School.

David writes this book in a chapter by chapter approach; the reader can see his understanding grow and his reactions change throughout the book. Many of his musings are notable, but two stand out: his acceptable name list and his realization that God loves those who think rather than follow blindly.

Mr. Plotz discovers that the favorite people of God from the Bible, Abraham, Moses, David, Jacob, Elijah, etc., all argue, negotiate, make demands of God, and remind Him of His covenants. The God of the Bible does not like the automatrons, that blindly follow like sheep. I can see Yahweh saying, "I created you with free will, Me-Dammit, so you better use it!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Book.